Feasibility studies on finger jointing of plywood sections
- 1Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
- 2Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
- 3Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
- 4Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
- 5Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
- 6Forest Products Division, Forest research Institute, Dehradun, 248006, India
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 8, Issue (2), Pages 21-26, April,8 (2020)
This study explores the feasibility of end joining short pieces of commercial plywood through finger joints. The joints were glued with urea formaldehyde and poly vinyl acetate (PVAc) adhesives. It was observed that both the adhesives resulted in similar bending strengths of around 25N/mm2 showing no glue effect. This was attributed to the absence of glue penetration into individual veneers which already had exposure to enough adhesives during manufacture of the plywood. The bending strength efficiency was in the 53%-61% range depending on the direction of face veneers. All jointed samples resulted in very high MoE efficiencies in the range of 84% to 97% as is seen in solid woods usually. The actual values ranged between 4440 N/mm2 and 6240 N/mm2 in two directions. Overall, the study demonstrated the potential of using finger joints for saving plywood offcuts that are wasted by the furniture manufacture industry to make longer sections with more than half of bending strength and very high elasticity compared to original unjointed plywood.
- Güneri A. (2005). Handbook of Polymers in Construction. Smithers Rappa, Shrewbury.
- Top Y. (2015)., Waste generation and utilisation in micro-sized furniture-manufacturing enterprises in Turkey., Waste Management, 35: 3-11.
- Daian G. and Ozarska B. (2009)., Wood waste management practices and strategies to increase sustainability standards in the Australian wooden furniture manufacturing sector., Journal of Cleaner Production, 17 (17), 1594-1602. doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2009.07.008
- Eckelman C.A., Erdil Y.Z. and Zhang J. (2002)., Withdrawal and bending strength of dowel joints constructed of plywood and oriented strandboard., Forest Products Journal, 52 (9), 66-74.
- Nazerian M., Moazami V., Farokhpayam S. and Gargari R.M. (2018)., Production of blockboard from small athel slats end-glued by different type of joint., Maderas. Ciencia y tecnología, 20 (2), 277-286. DOI: 10.4067/S0718-221X2018005021101
- Deo R. (2015). Upcycle waste plywood into trendy home furniture. https://www.homify.in/ideabooks/274945/upcycle-waste-plywood-into-trendy-home-furniture (accessed on 22 June 2018)
- Ogawa K., Harada M., Shibusawa T. and Miyamoto K. (2019)., Method for measuring the resistances produced on parallel and perpendicular veneers in plywood under nail embedment loading., Journal of Wood Science, 65, 1 doi.org/10.1186/s10086-019-1786-4
- Brožek M. (2016)., Bonding of plywood., Research in Agricultural Engineering, 62(4), 198-204. doi:10.17221/ 39/2015-RAE
- Frolovs G., Rocens K. and Sliseris J. (2017)., Shear and tensile strength of narrow glued joint depending on the grain direction of plywood plies., Procedia Engineering, 172, 292-299. doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.02.117
- Zhang J., Erdil Y.Z. and Eckelman C.A. (2002b)., Lateral Holding Strength of Dowel Joints Constructed of Plywood and Oriented strand Board., Forest Products Journal, 52 (7/8): 83-89.
- Zhang J., Quin F., Tackett B. And Park S.H. (2002a)., Direct withdrawal strength of single-staple joints in pine plywood., Forest Products Journal, 52 (2), 86-91.
- Zhang J., Yu Y. and Quin F. (2016)., Bending fatigue life of metal plate connected joints in furniture grade pine plywood., Forest Products Journal, 56 (11), 62-66.
- Jensen J.L., Sasaki T. and Koizumi A. (2002)., Plywood frame corner joints with glued in hardwood dowels., Journal of Wood Science, 48 (4), 289-294.
- Lavalette A., Cointe A., Poimmier R. and Legrand G. (2016)., Experimental design to determine the manufacturing parameters of a green glued plywood panel., Holz als Roh-und Werkstoff 74 (4), 543-551.
- Shibusawa T., Toda J. and Tanikawa N. (2016)., The effect of scarf jointed veneer on Mechanical performance of thick plywood., Mokuzai Gakkaishi, 62 (3), 73-79.
- Ayarkwa, J., Hirashima, Y., Sasaki, Y. and Ando, K. (2000b)., Effect of glue type on flexural and tensile properties of finger-jointed tropical African hardwoods., Forest Products Journal, 50 (10), 59-68.
- Ayarkwa, J., Hirashima, Y., and Sasaki, Y. (2000a)., Effect of finger geometry and end pressure on the flexural properties of finger jointed tropical African hardwoods., Forest Products Journal, 50 (11/12): 53-63.
- Kishan Kumar V.S., Sharma, C.M. and Gupta S. (2013)., Role of finger tip area on flexural strength properties of finger-jointed sections., International Wood Products Journal, 4 (2), 101-106.
- Uday N.D., Mathews K.C., Mohandas K.K., Jagadish H.N. and Bansal A.K. (2005)., Finger jointed timber from plantation species using indigenous machines., Indian Forester, 131 (4): 535-542.
- Kishan Kumar V.S., Gupta S. and l Kothiyal V. (2011)., Elasticity and rupture of finger jointed mango wood joined with two adhesives., Indian Forester, 137 (1), 88-93.
- BIS (2005). IS: 1734 (Parts 11) - 1983 Methods of Test for Plywood (Second Revision). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, pp. 7.
- Siim K., Kask R., Lille H. and Täkker E. (2012)., Study of Physical and Mechanical Properties of Birch Plywood Depending on Moisture Content., 8th International DAAAM Conference, Industrial Engineering", 19-21 April, Tallinn, 735-740.
- Bal B.C. and Bektaş I. (2014)., Some mechanical properties of plywood produced from eucalyptus, beech, and poplar veneer., Maderas. Ciencia y tecnología, 16 (1), 99-108. DOI 10.4067/S0718-221X2014005000009.
- https://www.duroply.in/pdf/sarda-corporate-brochure.pdf The World of Duro, Vol. 2017. (accessed on 19 September 2019)
- http://www.robbins.co.uk/pdf%20files/mar_plywood_technical.pdf (accessed on 09 March 2018)
- Makowski A. (2019)., Analytical Analysis of Distribution of Bending Stresses in Layers of Plywood with Numerical Verification., Drvna Industrija, 70 (1), 77-88. https://doi.org/10.5552/drvind.2019.1823
- Khali D.P., Kumar, A., Shrivastava P., Chand V., Mehta N.S. and Kumar S. (2017). Boiling water resistant (BWR) grade general purpose plywood of selected different progenies of Melia composita Benth. J. Timber Development Association of India, 62-63, 7-18.
- Kilic M. (2011)., The effects of the force loading direction on bending strength and modulus of elasticity in Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL)., BioResources, 6 (3), 2805-2817.
- Follrich J., Vay O., Veigel S. and Müller U. (2010)., Bond strength of end-grain joints and its dependence on surface roughness and adhesive spread., Journal of Wood Science, 56, 429-434. DOI 10.1007/s10086-010-1118-1
- Kishan Kumar V.S., Sharma C.M. and Gupta S. (2015)., Compression and flexural properties of finger jointed Mango wood sections., Maderas.Ciencia y tecnología, 17 (1), 151-160. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-221X201500 5000015.
- Ranjan M., Khali D.P., Ismita N., KishanKumar V.S. and Gupta S. (2019). Effect of adding Urea Formaldehyde in Polyvinyl acetate on the bending properties of Finger jointed Wood sections. International Archive of Applied Sciences and Technology 10 (1): 160-165. DOI: 10.15515/iaast.0976-4822.214.171.124165
- Frihart C.R. (2005). Wood adhesion and adhesives. In: Rowell, R.M. (Ed.), Handbook of wood chemistry and wood composites, Boca Raton, Fla. CRC Press, 2005: 215-278.
- Barboutis I. and Vasileiou V. (2013)., Strength of finger - jointed beech wood (Fagus sylvatica) constructed with small finger lengths and bonded with PU and PVAc adhesives., PRO LIGNO, 9(4), 359-364. www.proligno.ro
- Singh C.P., Gupta S. and Kishan Kumar V.S. (2018). Role of different gluing areas in deciding the bending strength of finger jointed timber. Research Journal of Agriculture and Forestry Sciences, 6 (12): 15-20.