Effect of drying time and temperature on biochemical composition of Moringa oleifera leaf powder
- 1College of Natural Resources, Lobesa, Punakha, Bhutan
- 2College of Natural Resources, Lobesa, Punakha, Bhutan
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 34-39, January,8 (2020)
The research was conducted to determine the effect of drying time and temperature on proximate composition of moringa leaf powder. The experiment conducted in late 2018, followed Completely Randomized Design involving six treatments (500C for 4 hours, 500C for 5 hours, 500C for 6 hours, 600C for 4 hours, 600C for 5 hours and 600C for 6 hours) and three replications per treatment. Parameters evaluated were weight, moisture, fat, fiber, protein, ash and carbohydrate content. Significance (p &
- Amee R., Prasad V.R., Gajera R.R. and Joshi D.C. (2017)., Potentiality of Moringa oleifera for food and nutritional security - A review., Agriculture Research Communication Centre Journals, 38(3), 228-232. doi: 10.18805/ag.v38i03.8983
- Roloff A., Weisgerber H., Lang U. and Stimm B. (2009)., Moringa oleifera LAM., Enzyklopädie der Holzgewächse, Handbuch und Atlas der Dendrologie, 40.
- Jimenenez V.M., Almatrafi M.M. and Fernandez M.L. (2017)., Bioactive components in Moringa oleifera Leaves protect against Chronic disease., MDPI, 6. doi: 10.3390/antiox6040091
- Mishra S.P., Sing P. and Singh S. (2012)., Processing of Moringa oleifera leaves for human consumption., Bulletin of Environment, Pharmacology and Life Sciences, 2(1), 28-31.
- Santibanez F., Mendoza J., Munoz C., Caroca C., Santibanez P. and Prat L. (2015)., Systems to establish bioclimatic analogies to predict the area of adaptability of plant species to new environments: The case of Moringa oleifera Lam. in Chile., Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research, 75(4), 425-433. doi:10.4067/s0718- 58392015000500007
- Emelike N.J.T, Uwa F.O, Ebere C.O and Kiin-Kabari D.B. (2015)., Effect of drying methods on the physico-chemical and sensory properties of cookies fortified with Moringa (Moringa olelfera) leaves., Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences, 3(4), 361-367.
- Gardener Ellen (2002)., Moringa Tree has Many Uses, From Food to Firewood., Yumasun. Portal Market, Moringa Tree Powder.
- Singh Y. and Prasad K. (2013)., Moringa Oleifera leaf as functional food powder: characterization and uses., Inter. J. Agric. and Food Sci Technol, 4, 317-324.
- Tesfay S.Z., Bertling I., Odindo A.O., Woekneh T.S. and Methaba N. (2011)., Levels of anti-oxidants in different parts of moringa (Moringa oleifera) seedling., African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(22), 5123-5132. doi: 10.5897/AJAR11.1101.
- Wankhadea P.K., Sapkala R.S., Sapkala R.S. and Sapkalb V.S. (2013)., Drying characteristics of okra slices on drying in hot air dryer., Procedia Engineering, 51, 371-374. doi: 10.1016/j.proeng.2013.01.051
- Gogus F. (1994)., The effect of movement of solutes on maillard reaction during drying., Ph.D. thesis. Leeds University, Leeds.
- Kumar C., Karim M.A., Mohammad U.H. and Joardder (2014)., Intermittent Drying of Food Products: A Critical Review., Journal of Food Engineering, 121, 48-57.
- Ali M.A, Yusof Y.A., Chin N.L. and Ibrahim M.N. (2017)., Processing of Moringa leaves as natural source of nutrients by optimization of drying and grinding mechanism., Journal of Food Processing Engineering, 40(6). doi: 10.1111/jfpe.12583
- Olabode Z., Akanbi T.C., olunlade B. and Adeola A.A. (2015)., Effects of drying temperature on the nutrients of moringa (Moringa oleifera) leaves and sensory attributes of dried leaves infusion., Direct Research Journal of Agriculture and Food Science (DRJAFS), 3(5), 117-122.
- Alakali J.S., Kucha C.T. and Rabiu I.A. (2015)., Effect of drying temperature on the nutritional quality of Moringa oleifera leaves., African journal of food science, 9(7), 395-399. doi: 10.5897/AJFS2014.1145
- Dadali G. and Özbek B. (2008)., Microwave heat treatment of leek: drying kinetic and effective moisture diffusivity., International journal of food science & technology, 43(8), 1443-1451.
- Maskan M. (2000)., Microwave/air and microwave finish drying of banana., Journal of food engineering, 44(2), 71-78.
- Ali M.A., Yusof Y.A., Chin N.L., Ibrahim M.N. and Basra S.M.A. (2014)., Drying kinetics and color analysis of moringa oleifera leaves., Agriculture and Agricultural Science, 2, 394-400.
- Premi M., Sharma H.K., Sarkar B.C. and Singh C. (2010)., Kinetics of drumstick leaves (Moringa oleifera) During Convective Drying., African Journal of Plant Science, 4(10), 391-400.
- Sauveur A.d.S. and Broin M. (2010)., Growing and processing moringa leaves., Moringa News, cde, CTA security of adolescent girls, M.H.Sc. Thesis, Uni. Agri. Sci., Dharwad.
- Gyamfi E.T., Kwarteng I.K., Ansah M.O., Anim A.K., Ackah M., Kpattah L. and Bentil N.O. (2011)., Effects of processing on Moringa oleifera., International Academy of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 1(3-4), 179-185.
- Manchekar M.D., Zende U.M. and Naik K.R. (2008)., Processing and value addition to curry leaves through drying and dehydration., International Drying Symposium, 706-708.
- Agasimani A.D., Sharma Y. and Naik K.R. (2008)., Consolidation of food security and value addition to the coriander through drying and dehydration., International Drying Symposium, 1352-1354.
- Gupta N. and Shukla R.N. (2017)., Preparation and quality evaluation of dehydrated carrot and onion slices., J Food Process Technol, 8(9), 692. doi: 10.4172/2157-7110.1000692
- Demir V., Gunhan T., Yagcioglu A.K. and Degirmencioglu A. (2004)., Mathematical modelling and the determination of some quality parameters of air-dried bay leaves., Biosyst. Eng., 88(3), 325-335.
- Derossi A., Severini C. and Cassi D. (2011)., Mass transfer mechanisms during dehydration of vegetable food: traditional and innovative approach., EL-AMIN, M. Advances topics in mass transfer. 1a ed. Rijeka: InTech, 305-354.
- Gernah D.I. and Sengev A.I. (2011)., Effects of processing on some chemical properties of the leaves of the drumstick tree (Moringa oleifera)., Nig. Food J., 29, 70-77.
- Idah P.A., Musa J.J. and Olaleye S.T. (2010)., Effect of temperature and drying time on some nutritional quality parameters of dried tomatoes., AU Journal of Technology, 14(1), 25-32.
- Price L.M. (2007)., The moringa tree., Echo Technical Paper.
- Fuglie L.J. (2005)., The Moringa Tree: A local solution to malnutrition., Senegal: ChurchWorld Service.
Meyerzon M. (2012)., The effects of heat on protein food., Retrieved from
Janine A. (2011)., The general effects of heat on the protein in foods., Retrieved on December13, 2018, from
- Joshi P. and Mehta D. (2010)., Effect of dehydration on the nutritive value of drumstick leaves., Journal of Metabolomics and Systems Biology, 1, 5-9.
- Satwase A.N., Pandhre G.R., Sirat P.G. and Wade Y.R. (2012)., Studies on drying characteristics and nutritional composition of drumstick leave by using sun, shadow, cabinet and oven drying methods., Open Access Scientific Reposts, 2, 584.
- FAO. (1980)., Carbohydrates in human nutrition., a Joint FAO/WHO, Report. FAO Food Nutr Pap, 66, 1-140.
- Adeyemi S.B., Ogundele K.O. and Animasaun M.A. (2014)., Influence of drying methods on the proximate and phytochemical composition of Moringa oleifera Lam., Adv. in Nat. Appl. Sci., 2(1), 1-5.