Preparation and assessment of physico-chemical and sensory qualities of pumpkin tomato vegetable squash
- 1Department of Biosystems Technology, Faculty of Technology, South Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- 2Departent of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- 3Departent of Agricultural chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- 4Food Research Unit, Department of Agriculture, Gannoruwa, Sri Lanka
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 6, Issue (7), Pages 1-6, July,8 (2018)
In the present world, a trend towards development and consumption of fruits and vegetables based beverages has gained attention among people to ensure their healthy life. Focusing this concept as objective, a study was conducted to develop composite vegetable squash by incorporating fundamental properties (nutritional and organoleptic properties) and functional properties (medicinal properties) of two major vegetables cultivated in Sri Lanka; tomato and pumpkin. Taking into account the decisions of several preliminary studies, five formulations with different combinations of tomato and pumpkin were prepared and analyzed for physico-chemical parameters inclusive of TSS, pH, titrable acidity, ascorbic acid content, total sugar, reducing and non-reducing sugar content and organoleptic parameters such as colour, aroma, taste, nature, and overall acceptability. Repercussions of chemical analysis declared that with the decrease in concentration of pumpkin in composite veggi squash formulations mean values for pH (6.3-4.8), total sugar (31.3–25.8), reducing sugar (7.8 –6.2) and non-reducing sugar (23.4–19.6) significantly decreased while mean values for titrable acidity (0.1-0.4) and ascorbic acid (270.2-310.4) increased at 5% significant level. In addition, scores for sensorial attributes were significantly different among composite veggi squash formulations, in which formulation T4 prepared with 50% pumpkin and 50% tomato scored high for all the sensorial attributes in sensory evaluation. With the findings derived from experimental analysis of freshly made composite pumpkin tomato vegetable squash, formulation T4 was considered as superior squash formulation in terms of physico-chemical and sensorial properties squash formulation for further storage and nutritional improvement studies.
- Bub A., Watzal B., Blockhaus M., Briviba K. and Liegibel U. (2003)., Fruit juice consumption modulates antioxidative status, immune status and DNA damage., Journal of nutrition and Biochemistry, 14, 90-98.
- Gerhauser C. (2008)., Cancer chemopreventive potential of apples, apple juices and apple components., Planta Medica, 74(13), 1608-1624. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0028-1088300.
- Nantz M.P., Rowe C.A., Nieves C. and Percival S.S. (2006)., Immunity and antioxidant capacity in humans is enhanced by consumption of a dried, encapsulated fruit and vegetable juice concentrate., Journal of nutrition, 136, 2606-2610.
- Percival S.S. (2009)., Grape consumption supports immunity in animals and human., Journal of Nutrition, 139, 1801S-1805S.
- Rowe C.A., Nantz M.P., Nieves C., West R.L. and Percival S.S. (2011)., Regular consumption of concord grape juice benefits human immunity., Journal of Medical Food, 14, 69-78.
- Hung H.C., Joshipura K.J., Jiang R., Hu F.B. and Hunter D. (2004)., Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease., Journal of National Cancer Institute, 96(21), 1577-1584.
- Barr C.S., Lang C.C., Hanson J., Arnott M., Kennedy N. and Struthers A.D. (1995)., Effects of adding spironolactone to an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor in chronic congestive heart failure secondary to coronary artery disease., American Journal of Cardiology, 76, 1259-1265.
- Wang L.S. and Stoner G.D. (2008)., Anthocyanins and their role in cancer prevention., Cancer Letters, 269, 281-290.
- Horticultural Crop Research and Development Institute (2017), Crop. Tomatoes. Retrieved from https:// www.doa.gov.lk/HORDI/index.php/en/crop-2/37-tomatoes-e. Accessed on 10th Aug, 2017., undefined, undefined
- Department of Census and Statistics, Sri Lanka. (2013). Agriculture and Environment Statistics: Extent and production of vegetables. www.statistics.gov.lk. Accessed on 19/08/2016., undefined, undefined
- Bamunuarachchi A., Palipana K. and Fernando D. (2017)., Problems with quality and safety in the Sri Lankan horticultural sector and steps taken to overcome these issues., Retrieved from http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/ datastore/234-1471.pdf. Accessed on 27/07/2017
- A.O.A.C. (2006)., Official Methods of Analysis., The Association of Official Analytical Chemists. (15th Ed.). Arlington, USA.
- Nilugin S.E. and Mahendran T. (2010)., Preparation of ready-to-serve (RTS) beverage from palmyrah (borassus flabellifer l.) fruit pulp., Journal of Agricultural Science, 5(2), 80-88.
- Vidhya R. and Narain A. (2011)., Formulation and evaluation of preserved products utilizing under exploited fruit, wood apple (Limonia acidissima)., American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture & Environmental Science, 10, 112-118.
- Leoni C. (2002)., Improving the nutritional quality of processed fruits and vegetables: the case of tomatoes., In: Jongen W (Ed). Fruit and vegetable processing. Improving quality. Wood head publishing limited, Abington Hall, Abington Cambridge CB1 6AH, England, 52-65. ISBN 9781855735484.
- USDA (2016)., National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28., Pumpkin. Retrieved from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3141. Accessed on 19/08/2017.
- USDA (2016)., National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 28., Tomato. Retrieved from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3223.Accessed on19/08/2017.
- Nidhi Gehlot R., Singh R. and Rana M.K. (2008)., Changes in chemical composition of RTS bael-guava blended beverage during storage., Journal of Food Science and Technology, 45(4), 378-380.
- Hesham A.E. and Manal F.S. (2015)., Effect of incubation, enzymes and thermal pre-treatments on the quality of pumpkin juice., Journal of nutrition and food science, 5(3), 371.
- Kausar H., Saeed S., Mushtaq Ahmad M. and Salam A. (2012)., Studies on the development and storage stability of cucumber-melon functional drink., Journal of Agricultural Research, 50(2), 239-248.
- Warushamana G. (2011)., Postharvest handling must be improved., www.sundayobserver.lk/ 2011/08/28/fin10.asp.