Effect of hydropriming and biopriming on seed germination of Brinjal and Tomato seed
- 1Sophisticated Instrumentation Centre for Applied Research and Testing, Vallabh Vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India and Department of Biology, V.P. & R.P.T.P. Science College, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India
- 2Sophisticated Instrumentation Centre for Applied Research and Testing, Vallabh Vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India and Department of Biology, V.P. & R.P.T.P. Science College, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, R.K. Parikh Arts & Science College, Sardar Patel University, Petlad- 388450, Gujarat, India
- 4Department of Biology, V.P. & R.P.T.P. Science College, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh vidyanagar-388120, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 5, Issue (6), Pages 1-14, June,8 (2017)
In the life cycle of plant- seed germination and seedling growth are critical stages, especially under conflicting abiotic stress. Seed germination negatively affected by stress condition, the seed priming techniques have been used to improve germination in many field crops under stressed conditions. An experiment was conducted in order to evaluate the effect of red seaweed extract of Gracilaria corticata J Ag., Kappaphycus alvarezii and mixture of both as a biopriming agents, that alters the responses of vegetables seeds germination under water stress. In hydropriming treatment seeds were treated with water, in biopriming treatment different dosages of red seaweed extracts were used and untreated seed used as a control. The present paper indicates the seed parameters such as germination percentage, germination index, mean germination time, seedling length, radical length, plumule length, seedling vigour index and seed stamina index are found to be positive effect by priming treatment and biopriming treatment was better than hydropriming treatment as compare to control.
- Yadav Patade Vikas, Kumari Maya and Ahmed Zakwan (2011)., Seed priming mediated germination improvement and tolerance to subsequent exposure to cold and salt stress in capsicum., Res. J. Seed. Sci., 4(3), 125-136.
- Ansari O. and Sharif-Zadeh F. (2012)., Osmo and hydro priming improvement germination characteristics and enzyme activity of Mountain Rye (Secale montanum) seeds under drought stress., J of Stress Phy & Bio., 8(4), 253-261.
- Bradford K.J. (1986)., Manipulation of seed water relations via osmotic priming to improve germination under stress conditions., Hortic Sci, 21, 1105-1112.
- Khan A.A. (1992)., Preplant physiological seed conditioning., Hortic Rev., 13(13), 131-181. DOI: 10.1002/9780470650509.ch4
- Varier A., Vari A.K. and Dadlani M. (2010)., The subcellular basis of seed priming., Cur Sci, 99(4), 450-456.
- Basra S.M.A., Zia M.N., Mehmood T., Afzal L. and Khaliq A. (2002)., Comparison of different invigoration techniques in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) seeds., Paki J Arid Agri, 5, 11-16.
- Farooq M., Basra S.M.A., Karim H.A. and Afzal I. (2004)., Optimization of seed hardening techniques for rice seed invigoration., Emir. J. Agric. Sci., 16(2), 48-57.
- Iqbal M. and Ashraf M. (2013)., Gibberellic acid mediated induction of salt tolerance in wheat plants: Growth, ionic partitioning, photosynthesis, yield and hormonal homeostasis., Env and Exp Bot, 86, 76-85. doi:10.1016/j.envexpbot.2010.06.002
- Kaya M., Atak M., Khawar K.M., Ciftci C.Y. and Ozcan S. (2005)., Effect of pre-sowing seed treatment with zinc and foliar spray of humic acids on yield of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)., Int J Agr Biol, 7(6), 875-878.
- Saglam S., Day S., Kaya G. and Gurbuz A. (2010)., Hydro priming increases germination of lentil (Lens culinaris medik) under water stress., Not Sci Bio, 2(2), 103-106.
- Souguir Maher, Hassiba Fraj and Cherif Hannachi (2013)., Effect of NaCl priming on seed germination of Tunisian fenugreek (Trigonella foenumgraecum L.) under salinity conditions., J of Str Phy & Bioche, 9(2), 86- 96.
- Ansari O., Choghazardi H.R., SharifZadeh F. and Nazarli H. (2012)., Seed reserve utilization and seedling growth of treated seeds of mountain ray (Secale montanum) as affected by drought stress., Cer. Agro in Mol., 2(150), 43-48.
- Soltani A., Gholipoor M. and Zeinali E. (2006)., Seed reserve utilization and seedling growth of wheat as affected by drought and salinity., Env and Exp Bot, 55(1), 195-200.
- Ashraf M. and Foolad M.R. (2005)., Pre-sowing seed treatment a shotgun approach to improve germination plant growth, and crop yield under saline and non-saline conditions., Adv. Agron., 88, 223-271.
- Ghassemi-Golezani K., Sheikhzacleh–Mosaddegh P. and Valizadeh M. (2008)., Effects of hydropriming duration and limited irrigation on field performance of chickpea., Res J of seed sci, 1(1), 34-40.
- Sneideris Larissa C., Gavassi Marina A., Campos Marcelo L., D, Effects of hormonal priming on seed germination of pigeon pea under cadmium stress., Ana da Acade Brasi de Ciên, 87(3), 1847-1852. (Ann of the Brazi Acade of Sci) www.scielo.br/aabc. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0001-3765201520140332.
- Ogbuehi H.C., Madukwe D.K. and Ashilonu P. (2013)., Assessment of hydro priming of seeds on performance of morphological indices of Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterrenea Linn.) landrace., Glo J of bio, agri and heaith Sci, 2(2), 17-22.
- Helsel D.G., Helsel Z.R. and Minor H.C. (1986)., Field studies on osmoconditioning soybeans., Field Crop Res., 14, 291-297.
- Alvarado A.D. and Bradford K.J. (1988)., Priming and storage of tomato (Lycopersicon esculeutum) seeds. I. Effect of storage temperature on germination rate and viability., Seed Sci. and Technol, 16, 601-612.
- Evans T.A. and Pill W.G. (1989)., Emergence and seedling growth from osmotically primed or pregerminated seeds of asparagus (Asparagus officinalis)., J of Horti Sci., 64(3), 275-282. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14620316.1989.11515955.
- Bradford K.J., Steiner J.J. and Trawatha S.E. (1990)., Seed priming influence on germination and emergence of pepper seed lots., Crop Sci, 30(3), 718-721.
- Khan H.A., Pervez M.A., Ayub C.M., Ziaf K., Bilal R.M, Shahid M.A. and Akhtar N. (2009)., Hormonal priming alleviates salt stress in hot Pepper (Capsicum annuum L.)., Soil Environ, 28(2), 130-135.
- Mavi K., Ermis S. and Demir I. (2006)., The effect of priming on tomato rootstock seeds in relation to seedling growth., Asi Pla Sci, 5(6), 940-947. DOI: 10.3923/ajps.2006.940.947
- Jagosz Barbara (2015)., Improving onion seed germination using priming treatments., Infra and eco of rur are., 4, 1437-1447. DOI: http://dx.medra.org/10.14597/infraeco.2015.4.4.103.
- Bhosle N.B., Untawale A.G. and Dhargalkar V.K. (1975)., Effect of seaweed extract on the growth of Phaseolus vulgaris., Ind Mar Sci, 4, 208-210.
- Carvalho R.F., Piotto F.A., Schmid D., Peters L.P., Monteiro C.C. and Azevedo R.A. (2011)., Seed priming with hormones does not alleviate induced oxidative stress in maize seedlings subjected to salt stress., Sci Agr, 68(5), 598-602.
- Bekendam Jan and Grob Regula (1979)., Hand book for seedling evaluation., International Seed Testing Association, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Baalbaki R., Elias S., Marcos-Filho J. and McDonald M. (2009)., Seed Vigor Testing Handbook. Contribution No. 32., handbook on Seed Testing.
- Ellis R.H. and Roberts E.H. (1978)., Towards rational basis for testing seed quality., Hebblethwaite, PD (Ed), Seed Production, Butterworths, London, 605-635.
- Abdul-Baki A.A and Anderson J.D. (1973)., Vigour determination in soybean seeds by multiple criteria., Crop Sci., 13(6), 630-633. http://dx.doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1973.0011183X001300060013x
- Abdul-Baki A.A. and Anderson J.D. (1970)., Viability and leaching of sugars from germinating barley., Crop Sci, 10, 31-34.
- Furutani S.C., Zandstra B.H. and Price H.C. (1986)., The effects of osmotic solute composition and duration and temperature of priming on onion seed germination., Seed Sci and Techn, 14(3), 545 551.
- Bujalski W. and Nienow A.W. (1991)., Large-scale osmotic priming of onion seeds: a comparison of different strategies for oxygenation., Scientia Horti, 46(1-2), 13 24.
- Selvarani K. and Umarani R. (2011)., Evaluation of seed priming methods to improve seed vigour of onion (Allium cepa cv. aggregatum) and carrot (Daucus carota)., J of Agri Tech, 7(3), 857 867.
- Soon K.J., Whan C.Z., Gu S.B., Kil A.C. and Lia C.J. (2000)., Effect of hydropriming to enhance the germination of gourd seeds., J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci., 41(6), 559-564.
- Farahbakhsh H. (2012)., Germination and seedling growth in un-primed and primed seeds of fenel as affected by reduced water potential induced by NaCl., Int Res J App Basic Sci, 3(4), 737-744.
- Ghoohestani A., Gheisary H., Zahedi S.M. and Dolatkhahi A. (2012)., Effect of seed priming of tomato with salicylic acid, ascorbic acid and hydrogen peroxide on germination and plantlet growth in saline conditions., Int J Agron Plant Product, 3, 700-704.
- Nasiri Yousef, Feyzi Parisa and Javanmard Abdollah (2014)., Effects of Hydro and Hormonal Seed Priming on Seed Germination of Milk Thistle under Saline Stress Condition., Not Sci Biol, 6(3), 374-380. DOI: 10.15835/nsb.6.3.9372
- Tabrizian F. and Osareh A.M. (2007)., Improved seed emergence and yield related traits of marigold (Calendula officinalis L.) by on-farm seed micronutrient treatment trials., J Crop Sci, 9, 124-141.