Simplifying complexity: using leaves rather than flowers to identify Xylopia species in Liberia
- 1Department of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Liberia, P.O. Box 9020 Monrovia, Liberia and Projects Liaison, Forestry Development Authority, P.O. Box 3010, Monrovia, Liberia
- 2Department of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Liberia, P.O. Box 9020 Monrovia, Liberia
- 3Department of Forestry, Faculty of Forestry, University of Liberia, P.O. Box 9020 Monrovia, Liberia
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 5, Issue (4), Pages 10-15, April,8 (2017)
Five species of Xylopia Linn. were appropriated and examined in the study. Botany and dendrology lecturers at the Department of Forestry, University of Liberia, generally experienced difficulties in delimiting Xylopia species because their floral characteristics are similar and arduous to delineate. Ten leaves of each species were borrowed from ArcelorMittal Iron Ore Mining Company (AML) mini-herbarium. Lamina physical characters were examined using one-foot graduated ruler, hand lens of 10X and 20X magnification, and canon camera (EOS 1100). Results showed that laminar size, auxiliary veins and third vein angle inconsistency proved most useful. The study was important in that it provided appreciable understanding of selected Xylopia species for teachers, students and most local users. Hence! The use of leaf architecture as identification tool for plants continues to gain further eminence.
- Leaf Architecture Working Group (1999)., Manual of Leaf Architecture – morphological description and categorization of dicotyledonous and net-veined monocotyledonous angiosperms. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. 67 pp.+ CD- ROM., Jodrell, 581, 67.
- Melville R. (1937)., The Accurate Definition of Leaf Shapes by Rectangular Coordinates., Annals of Botany, 1(4), 673-679.
- Ray T.R. (1954)., Folia Venation of Angiosperms. 1. Mature Venation of Liriodendron., American Journal of Botany, 4(8), 663-670.
- Ditcher D.L. (1974)., Approaches to Identification of Angiosperm Leaf Remains., Bot. Rev., 40(1), 1-57. Doi: 10. 1007/BF 02860067.
- Dolph G.E. (1975)., A statistical analysis of Apocynophyllum mississippiensis., Palaeontographica Abteilung B Band 151 Lieferung, 1-51.
- Spicer R.A. (1986)., Pectinal veins: A new concept in terminology for the description of dicotyledonous leaf venation patterns., Botanical Journal of Linnaeus Society, 93(4), 379-388.
- The Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (1998)., An Ordinal Classification for Families of Flowering Plants., Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden, 85(4), 531-553.
- Blonder B., Carlo F., Moore J., Rivers M. and Enquist B.J. (2012)., X – Ray Imaging of Leaf Venation Networks., New Phytologist, 196(4), 1274-1282.
- Bercu R. (2013)., Biolmetrical Observations on Spontaneous Species Cornus mas L., leaves: Annals of West University of Timisoara, Ser Biology, XV 1(1), 11-18.
- Hawthorne W.D. and Jongkind C.C.H. (2006)., A guide to the Forest Trees, Shrubs, and Lianes from Senegal to Ghana. Woody Plants of Western African Forests., Royal Botanic Gardens. Kew Richmond Surrey TW9 3AB, UK.
- Hawthorne W. and Gyakari N. (2006)., Photoguide for the forest trees of Ghana: A tree spotter’s field guide for identifying the largest trees., Oxford Forestry Institute, Department of Plant Sciences, ISBN 0 85074 1645.
- Hickey L.J., Johnson K., Ash A., Ellis B., Wilf P. and Wing S. (1999)., Manual of Leaf Architecture. Morphological description and categorization of dicotyledonous and net-veined monocotyledonous angiosperms by Leaf Architecture Working Group., 65. ISBN 0-9677554-0-9.
- Celadiῆa D.A., Buot Jr. I.E., Madulid Evangelista T.T. and Tandang D.N. (2012)., Leaf Architecture of selected Philippine CinnamomumSchaeff., (Lauraceae) Species. The Thailand Natural History Museum Journal, 6(2), 89-111.
- Lu H., Jiang W., Ghiassi M., Lee S. and Nitin M. (2012)., Classification of Camellia (Theaceae) Species using Leaf Architecture Variations and Pattern Recognition Techniques., PLoS ONE, 7(1), e29704.
- Tian Feng, Bradbury Peter J., Brown Patrick J., Hung Hsiaoyi, Sun Qi, Flint-Garcia Sherry, Rocheford Torbert R., McMullen Michael D., Holland James B. and Buckler Edward S. (2011)., Genome-wide association study of leaf architecture in maize nested mapping population., Nature Genetics, 43(2), 159-162.
- Larano A.A.P. and Buot I.E. (2010)., Leaf Architecture of Selected Species of Malvaceaesensu APG and its Taxonomic Significance., Philippines Journal of Systematic Biology, 4, 21-54.
- Loufty M.H.A., Karakish E.A.K., Khalifa S.F. and Mira E.R.A. (2005)., Numerical Taxonomic Evaluation of Leaf Architecture of some Species of Genus Ficus L., International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 7(3), 352-357.
- Idu MacDonald (2013)., Science and Technology in the 21st Century: Phytomedicine in Focus., Res. J. Recent Sci., 2(1), 1-7.
- Inamdar J.A. and Shenoy K.N. (1981)., Leaf Architecture in some Convolvulaceae., Phyton, 21(1), 115-125.
- Salvañ F.R.P. and Buot Jr I.E. (2014)., Leaf Architectural Study of Hoya coriacea, Hoya halconensis and Hoya boutii (Apocynaceae)., Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., 3(3), 37-44.
- Merrill E.K. (1978)., Comparison of Matured Leaf Architecture of three types in Sorbus L. (Rosaceae)., Bot. Gaz., 139(4), 447-453.
- Obico J.J., Bagay K.C., Asencion A.S. and Medecillo M.M. (2009)., Comparative Study of the Leaf Morphology of EpiremnumSchot and RhaphidophoraHassk. (Araceae) in the Philippines., Philippines Journal of Systematic Biology. 1(1), 15-26.
- Solis-Montero L., Ishiki-Ishihara Mario and Terrazas T. (2013)., Leaf Architecture and Anatomy of eleven species of Montoniodendron (Malvaceae sl.)., Plant Systematics and Evolution., 299(3), 553-566.
- Pulan D.E. and Buot Jr I.E. (2014)., Leaf Architecture of Philippine Shorea species (Dipterocarpaceae)., International Research Journal of Biological Science, 3(5), 19-26.
- Banaticla M.C.N. and Buot Jr. I.E. (2004)., Leaf Architecture of Ten Philippine Psychotria species (Rubiaceae)., The Philippine Scientist, 41, 74-90.
- Yu C.H. and Chen Z.L. (1991)., Leaf Architecture of the Woody Dicotyledons from tropical and subtropical China., pp. ix t 414.
- Kpadehyea J.T. and Buot Jr Inocencio E. (2014)., Leaf Architecture of Two Species and Nine Infraspecific Taxa of the Philippine Mussaenda Linn. (Rubiaceae): Conservation Concerns., International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(10), 13-21.