Isolation, Identification and Cellulase Production by two Bacillus Species from the Soil under Dipterocarpus and Lagerstroemia Forests
- 1Department of Microbiology, University of Chittagong-4331, Bangladesh
- 2Department of Microbiology, University of Chittagong-4331, Bangladesh
- 3Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Science and Technology Chittagong-4202, Bangladesh
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 4, Issue (5), Pages 1-8, May,8 (2016)
Cellulase producing bacteria were isolated from two forest soils of Dipterocarpus (Local name Garjon) and Lagerstroemia (Local name Jarul) and were identified to be Bacillus sphaericus (GK1) and Bacillus pumilus (JK1) respectively. Optimization of the fermentation medium for maximum cellulase production was carried out with respect to the culture conditions at pH, temperature, incubation period, substrate concentrations, carbon sources and nitrogen sources. The isolate GK1 showed highest enzyme production after 4 days at pH 6.5 besides the isolate JK1 showed highest enzyme production at 35°C of 1% substrate concentration. Maximum cellulase production was showed by isolate GK1 when asparagine was used as nitrogen source while isolate JK1 showed highest cellulase production using CMC as carbon source. The isolate GK1showed highest CMCase activity using at 40°C, 1.5h optimum incubation period and 1% CMC as substrate concentration and the isolate JK1 showed highest CMCase activity at pH 7.5. In comparative activities of different cellulases the crude enzymes of the isolate JK1 showed highest enzyme activities i. e. CMCase 185.59 U/ml
- Camassola M. and Dillon A.J.P. (2007)., Production of cellulases and hemicellulases by P. echinulatum grown on pretreated sugar cane bagasse and wheat bran in solid-state fermentation, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 103, 2196-2204.
- Coughlan M. (1990)., Cellulose degradation by fungi, Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK. , 1-36.
- Bobbie J. and Leatherwood J.M. (1976)., Derepressed synthesis of cellulose by Cellulomonas., J. Bacteri., 128, 609-615.
- Bahkali A.H. (1996)., Influence of various carbohydrates on xylanase production in Verticillium tricorpus., Bioresource Technology, vol. 57(3), 265–268.
- Magnelli P. and Forchiassin F. (1999)., Regulation of the cellulase complex production by Saccobolus saccoboloides: induction and repression by carbohydrates., Mycologia., 91(2), 359–364.
- Shin C.S., Lee J.P., Lee J.S. and Park S.C. (2000). Enzyme production of Trichoderma reesei rut C-30 on various lignocellulosic substrates. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 84–86, 237–245., undefined, undefined
- Immanuel G.R., Dhanusha P. Prema and Palavesam A. (2006)., Effect of different growth parameters on endoglucanase enzyme activity by bacteria isolated from coir retting effluents of estuarine environment., International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 3(1), 25–34.
- Wood T.M. and Garcia-Campayo V. (1990)., Enzymology of cellulose degradation., Biodegradation, 1(2), 147–161.
- Li X, Yang H. and Roy B. (2009)., The most stirring technology in future: cellulase enzyme and biomass utilization., African Journal of Biotechnology, 8(11), 2418–2422.
- Koomnok C. (2005)., Selection of cellulase producing thermophilic fungi, in Proceedings of the 31st Congress on Science and Technology of Thailand of Technology, Suranaree University, October.
- Buchanan R.E. and Gibbons N.E. (1974)., Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 8th ed. Williams and Wilkins Co. Baltimore. 759.
- Nelsons N.A. (1944). Photometric adaptation of the Somogyi method for the determination of glucose. J. Biol. Chem. 153, 375-380., undefined, undefined
- Begum. A.A., Chaudhury. N. and Sardar A.H. (1993)., Isolated ten mesophilic fungi from soil of Jute and sugar mill area examined for enzyme production in solid state fermentation (SSF)., Bangladesh. J. Microbiol., 10(1), 21-27.
- Spano L., Medeiros J. and Mandels M. (1976)., Enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose wastes to glucose., Resource Recovery and Conservation, 1(3), 279-294.
- Henerietee C., Zinebi S., Aumaitre M.F., Petitdemange E. and Petitdemange H. (1993)., Protease and lipase production by a strain of Serratia marcencens, J. Ind. Microbiol. 12, 129-135.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Far A.L. and Randal R.J. (1951)., Protein measurement with the folin-phenol reagent., J. Biol. Chem., 193, 265-275.
- Malek M.A., Chowdhury N., Chowdhury N.A., Youssouf Q.M. and Mollah R.A. (1987)., Degradation of cellulosic substances by Cytophaga sp., Bangladesh. J. Microbiol., 4(1), 1-6.
- Shailendra S.J., Bahadur and Varma A. (1991)., Production and localization of carboxy methyl cellulase, xylanase and β-glucosidase from Cellulomonas and Micrococcus sp. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 34, 668-670.
- Hossain F.M.M., Rahman M.M, Chowdhury N. and Malek M.A. (1999)., Production of extracellular carboxymethyl cellulase and cellobiase by a thermophilic, Bacillus sp. Bangladesh J. Microbiol, 16(2), 115-125.
- Farhana I.S., Chowdhury N.A., Chowdhury N. and Malek M.A. (2000)., Growth and activity of extracellular cellulolytic enzymes of Micromonospora sp. T-24., Bangladesh J. Microbiol., 17(2), 179-186.
- Brække F.H. and Finér L. (1990)., Decomposition of cellulose in litter layer and surface peat of low-shrub pine bogs., Scand. J. For. Res., 5, 297–310.
- Donnelly P.K., Entry J.A., Crawford D.L. and Cromack K.J.R. (1990)., Cellulose and Lignin degradation in forest soils; response to moisture, temperature and acidity., Microbiol. Ecol., 20(3), 289-296.
- Manchur M.A. and Anwar M.N. (1998)., Isolation of thermophilic microbes and screening for their cellulase activity, saccharification, protein and biomass production., Bangladesh J. Bot., 27(1), 35-30.
- Hossain F.M.M., Rahman M.M., Chowdhury N. and Malek M.A. (1998)., Extracellular carboxy methyl cellulase and cellobiase of some aerobic bacterial isolates., Bangladesh J. Microbiol, 15(2), 17-26.
- Shibli M., Manchur M.A. and Anwar M.N. (2001)., Isolation of cellulolytic microorganisms and screening for their cellulase activity, saccharification, protein and biomass production Bacteria and Actinomycetes., The Chittagong Univ. J. Sci, 25(2), 31-36.
- Khanam N. and Anwar M.N. (2004)., Comparative cellulolytic enzyme production from Trichoderma album FR¬2 Trichoderma ressei ANU 9609 in solid-state fermentation., Bangladesh J. Microbiol., 21(1), 25-29.
- Mandels M., Parrish F.W. and Reese E.T. (1962)., Sophorose as an inducer of cellulase of cellulase in Trichoderma., viridae. J. Bacteriol., 83, 400-408.
- Breuil C. and Kushner D.J. (1976)., Cellulase induction and the use of cellulose as a preferred growth substrate by Cellvibrio gilvus., Can. J. Microbiol., 22, 1776-1781.
- Shewale J.G. and Sadana J.C.(1978)., Cellulase and ß-glucosidase production by a Basidiomycetes sp., Can. J. Microbiol., 24, 1204-1216.
- Tan T.K., Yeoh H.H. and Paul K. (1986)., Cellulolytic activities of Trichoderma hamatum grown on different carbon substrates., Mircen J. Appl. Microbiol Biotechnol., 2(4), 467-472.
- Hossain S.M.Z and Anwar M.N. (1996)., Isolation of cellulolytic microorganisms from forest and garbage soil and screening for cellulase activity., Chittagong University studies part 2, sci, 20(1), 83-88.
- Geoffrey D., Robson Paul, Kuhn J. and Anthony P.J. Trinci. (1989)., Effect of validamycin on the production of cellulase, xylanase and polygalacturonase by Rhizoctonia solani., J. Gen Microbiol., 135(10), 2709-2715.
- Martin G.M. and Eberhart B. (1966)., Regulation of cellulase and cellobiase in Neurospora crassa., Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 24, 782-785.
- Mandels M. and Weber J. (1969)., The production of cellulase. In: Cellulase and their applications., Edited by R.F. Gould. Adv. Chem. Ser. 95. Am. Chem. Soc. Washington DC, 391-414.
- Nisizawa T., Suzuki H. and Nisizawa K. (1972)., Catabolic repression of cellulase formation in T. viridae., J. Biochem. 71, 999-1007.
- Kashem M.A. (1998)., Effect of carbon and nitrogen sources on microbial cellulase, saccharification, protein and biomass production., M.Sc. Thesis. Department of Botany, Chittagong University, Bangladesh.
- Ray AK, Bairagi A, Ghosh KS and Sen S.K. (2007)., Optimization of fermentation conditions for cellulase production by Bacillus subtilis CY5 and Bacillus circulans TP3 isolated from fish gut., Acta Ichthyologica ET Piscatoria,37(1), 47-53.
- Garg S.K. and Neelkanten S. (1982)., Effect of mutational factors on cellulase enzyme and microbial protein production by Aspergillus terreus and its evaluation., Biotechnol. Bioeng, 24, 109-125.
- Chahal D.S. and Dhaliwal B.S. (1973)., Indian J. Microbiol., 13, 191.
- Zaman M.Z. (1990)., Preliminary study of cellulolytic microorganisms for their cellulase and biomass production M.Sc. thesis Department of Botany, Chittagong University, Bangladesh.